Lutzker & Lutzker attorneys combine extensive professional experience with personal passion to advise nonprofit clients. In addition to facing the contractual, human resources, intellectual property and other legal issues involved in conducting any business, tax-exempt organizations operate within an environment of complex IRS regulations, a multiplicity of state laws governing charitable fundraising, and increasingly scrutinized corporate governance, including IRS inquiry into traditional corporate matters. As fiscal constraints challenge nonprofits to become more entrepreneurial, these challenges multiply.
- Securing or reinstating tax-exempt status for a wide variety of nonprofit organizations, often including complex issues of financial relationships with insiders, entrepreneurial activities or participation in complex real estate transactions
- Helping a nonprofit educational organization achieve a balance between its goals of broad public dissemination and protection of its proprietary assets
- Helping clients evaluate the desirability of creating a nonprofit organization or of creating a for-profit or nonprofit affiliate of an existing tax-exempt entity
- Achieving nationwide protection under dozens of unique state laws for a nonprofit adopting a trade name for its educational program
- Forming and representing nonprofit cultural organizations to sponsor international art exhibitions, including negotiating lending, licensing, merchandising and publishing agreements, engaging personnel and expert consultants and obtaining insurance for high value art objects